Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Pirate Looks at 55

This year for my birthday my sweet husband got tickets for the Jimmy Buffett concert at River Bend in Cincinnati. The concert was actually on my birthday. We had pavillion seating; too old now to sit on the grass. As you can see, our "costumes" weren't as elaborate as most.
Jimmy sang all his old standards and the crowd sang along. He is about the only act I can think of that has three or four generations in the same audience. Even our two year old grandson or grandkeet as seasoned parrotheads would say, loves Buffett music and sings "Boat Drinks", "Volcano", and "Cheeseburger in Paradise." Jimmy closed his show with the final encore number of John Prine's "Paradise" and I thought Jerry would flip out. He is from Muhlenberg County and that song might as well be the national anthem for anybody from Central City, Greenville, Bremen, or Drakesboro. I have never heard Jimmy sing it before and I think I have everything he has ever recorded. Maybe he's just never recorded it!

"She's still a hula girl at heart"
We stayed at the Cincinnati Hilton which was right downtown. The concert was on a Thursday. We shopped and walked around the downtown area most of the day on Friday and attended a Cincinnati Reds baseball game Friday night. We came home to a hot house on Saturday as our air conditioning had gone out. So for my birthday I also got a new heating/cooling system!
Here's a video of Jimmy's encore, "Paradise"

Jimmy Buffett, River Bend, Cincinnati 7/17/08

1 comment:

MMK said...

What fun! You are right! Even my Tony, who is 14,loves Jimmy and has him on his Ipod. Probably because we watch his videos on CMT. Happy Birthday again! Love, Marla