Stained glass is very addicting, and not long after you have made your first suncatcher, you start wondering how hard would it be to make a bigger panel, a lampshade, or an entire window? This was the first lampshade I made. Even though each panel is the same thing, a simple rose, I thought it turned out lovely. It was recently broken when my dear husband decided to move the sofa table without taking anything off it. It is back on my work table waiting for me to start wondering if I can repair broken lampshades!
Evan's LampWhen Emily became pregnant and was deciding on how to decorate the nursery, she chose the "Sea Life" themed bedding from Babies 'R Us. The bedding came with lots of accessories and had a lamp with a simple shade that had a few of the "characters" such as the seahorse and octopus with the blue hat. I decided I could make a much better shade with stained glass. I purchased the base and set to work designing the shade.
Seahorse with view of fish and starfish The characters on the bedding had such whimsical faces that I knew I would have to have a way to show the expressions of the animals. I was able to use Pebeo paints to paint the faces and other details on the figures. Then they were baked in the oven to fuse the paint to the glass. This was a lot of fun and turned out rather nicely, if I do say so myself! Entire lamp
This lamp was made with Uroboros fracture and streamer glass. It was almost like drapery glass in that it looked like it had been poured from the molten state and hardened in waves. I don't know how they do it, but it is very difficult to cut. I ended up using a glass saw to cut the background "ocean" pieces.
This lamp has been Evan's nightlight since he's been here. I don't think the Sea Life bedding is making the trip to Germany, but I've been assured the lamp is going. I hope it is packed well, because I don't think I could repair this one!
My oldest sister, Vivian, and her family recently bought an old Victorian house in Owensboro, Kentucky. This is a house that is just aching for stained glass. And since this is pretty much my passion at the moment, I have started building windows for her house. These sidelights were made with purchased bevel clusters, clear granite glass, and cobalt textured glass. Four cobalt "jewels adorn each sidelight. I have not done that much lead construction and although it goes quicker than copper foil, it sure is a lot messier when the panel has to be puttied. Above shows the sidelights before installation.
Sidelights mounted with mirror clips, front door
Jerry and I hung the new sidelights over the existing glass with mirror clips. Vivian's husband, Dick, plans to stain moulding to match this gorgeous oak woodwork to properly install the windows. The main window in the door is "Gallery Glass", a plastic concoction with fake lead that the former owner had decorated the house with in many places. We scraped off the existing "gallery glass" from the sidelights and found nicely beveled plain glass underneath. One of my future projects is to get rid of the "gallery glass" on the front door and do a beveled door glass that will complement the sidelights.
Earlier this spring, I finished the sidelights for my house and Jerry and I installed them with wood moulding over the existing plain glass sidelights. These sidelights incorporated some bevels but mostly colored glass with a clear background glass that distorts the view for added privacy. Most folks don't have colored glass in their sidelights so mine are a little different in that respect. However, I think they are very pretty. When the sunlight hits them at various times of the day, they are gorgeous. At night, when the light is on in the house the sidelights glow with beautiful summer flowers all year long.
Another view of my sidelights
Unlike Viv's sidelights, these were constructed using copper foil. They are mirror images of each other, so took a little more work than the "geometric" sidelights I did for Vivian. These are, so far, the biggest projects I have made. In future posts I will share some suncatchers, lamps, and panels that I have made previously.
This past weekend Jerry and I went to visit Emily, Bob, and Evan's new house. For anyone that doesn't know, Emily is our daughter, Bob is our son-in-law, and Evan is our only grandchild. Sadly for us, they will be moving to Germany in about 3 weeks. They will no more than get unpacked until they will have to pack again for the big move. Here are some more pictures of the new house. It is a lot more spacious than the townhome they lived in before. It has a full finished basement that would be a great place for kids to play.
View of foyer from stairs
Proud homeowner, Emily
Of course, Evan was a moose as usual. He is a big talker and repeats anything he hears so grandparents must be careful about what they say. He probably picked up a thing or two from Neena and G-Dad that he shouldn't have! Guess it's time for Neena and G-Dad to apply for a passport. They'll be in Germany for 3 years.